1 cup Origins wholemeal flour
8 oz (240ml) of organic cheddar cheese, grated
4 tbsps of cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
4 tbsps of water
1. Add the flour & butter to a food processor & pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Add cheese, 1 tbsp at a time & pulse. Then, add water, also 1 tbsp at a time & pulse. Feel the dough & if it shapes easily into a ball, it is ready.
3. Flatten between 2 pieces of greaseproof paper & chill for 15 minutes so as to make the butter cold to achieve puffier crackers.
4. Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
5. Roll the dough about 3mm thick (thinner = crispier but not paper thin), cut out your desired shapes & place them in neat rows on one of the greaseproof papers.
6. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes depending on the thickness of your crackers.
7. Cool completely on a cooling rack before storing in an airtight container for up to 1 week (mine will be long gone before that..lolz).
I did three trays' worth in total. The first tray was a tad too brown but super fragrant & crispy. I find that there's a very slight bitter aftertaste but hubby insisted that they tasted great & he liked them as they were. I took out the 2nd tray slightly earlier & they were a bit softer in the centres. I asked my hubby which texture he wants for the third tray & he chose 'in between'. In the end, the third tray turned out the most ideal & the trick here is to remove them as soon as a faint fragrant aroma starts diffusing from the oven. I'm sure I'll be baking more of these very soon as both my 'boys' enjoy them tremendously ~.^